To choose good sunglasses is to look beyond the brand and price and seek adequate protection against solar radiation. With the arrival of longer days and bright sun glasses become an indispensable complement. Not just a fashion item, but which play an important role in protect eyes from sunlight and ultraviolet radiation. Therefore, the choosing sunglasses must be considered, rather than their aesthetic, providing real protection because of poor quality glasses can cause serious damage to eyes.
History of Sunglasses:
Dark glasses were already used by the Chinese dynasties before the fifteenth century, though not with the mission to protect the eyes. The tinted windows were used by judges to conceal their facial expressions during court sessions.
A mid-eighteenth century, Britain’s James Ayscough began experimenting with tinted lenses as a way to remedy specific problems of sight, but it was not until the early twentieth when sunglasses become popular to be used by several film stars budding moved to protect themselves from the bright lights.
In the United States in the 1930′s, the Army hired the company Bausch & Lomb’s production of glasses which protect the eyes of pilots from solar radiation. Thus was born Ray-Ban, The first modern manufacturer of sunglasses, which would produce the most popular models and imitation of history.
The role of sunglasses:
Sunglasses may be of several types, differing in three general categories according to the role:
* Cosmetic Sunglasses: a fashion that does not offer significant protection against the sun.
* Sunglasses general purpose: the most widespread and, while serving as a fashion, its primary function is to reduce the glare of bright light and protecting against ultraviolet radiation.
* Special Sunglasses: have a high degree of protection against solar radiation and are used to sports outdoors or for very sensitive to glare.
Eye protection against solar radiation:
Sunglasses provide comfort by reducing the total amount of light reaching the eye but also protect it from ultraviolet radiation. Part of this radiation is absorbed on the surface of the cornea and some can reach the retina. Excessive exposure to such radiation can cause damage to the cornea and conjunctiva and in the lens and the retina.
The importance of getting approved sunglasses:
European legislation considers the sunglasses as PPE (personal protective equipment), and subjected to rules which lays down quality requirements to be met to obtain the CE mark.
These regulations (EN 1836:2006) provides 5 levels ranging from low to high protection, from 0 to 4. For average use, including driving, categories 2 and 3 are most appropriate. Category 4 is suited to extreme applications, for example, snowy landscapes or water sports, and is not suitable for driving, even during the day.
The danger of using a pair of sunglasses of poor quality:
Purchase is not approved glasses all a risk, since they may not present any kind of filter against ultraviolet radiation. The dark lenses only reduce the amount of light reaching the eye, allowing the pupil to dilate and receive more ultraviolet radiation in the absence of a protective filter. The use of such lenses is more dangerous and detrimental to eye health not use any type of sunglasses.
Tips when buying sunglasses:
When buying sunglasses it is necessary to assess the aspects that go beyond the merely aesthetic. Important issues to consider are:
* Find Always wear approved, with a solar filter suitable for use that will give them.
* The lenses must be glass or organic, not plastic.
* The color of the eyes influences the degree of protection you need in sunglasses. Clear eyes, as blue and green, require more protection than dark ones.
* The color of the lens is also important and fashions do not always coincide with the most desirable colors. The lenses of gray or brown are the most recommended for general use, as they minimize color distortions. Green also fall into this category. The yellow and orange greatly increase the contrast and, therefore, are used by golfers and hunters. Blue or violet lenses have no real benefits and their use is purely aesthetic.
* We must seek protective sunglasses, including lens mount, the entire eye, not only against front-rays.
* For snow sports and polarized lenses are recommended.
The children should also wear sunglasses, especially in summer. The criteria for choosing sunglasses are the same as in the case of adults, although it is advisable to choose models showing the sides tightly closed to prevent light from penetrating through them. The incorporation of a rubber grip both arms is also a good solution to prevent falls and breaks.
Quality, brand and price of the sunglasses:
There are many prices glasses. But the amount is not marked only by the quality, but also to a greater extent by the brand. A Sunglasses analysis approved, Of different makes and models, showed large differences in price depending on the brand, but few differences in the level of protection offered. It follows that acquiring good sunglasses is not expensive. Go to the latest trend in what refers to this add might.